Introduction of West Bengal Scholarships
West Bengal Scholarships play a crucial role in assisting students who are state residents at both the school and college levels. These scholarships aim to support worthy, deserving, and underprivileged students across the state.
The government of West Bengal and its subsidiary departments administer these scholarships. Additionally, the presence of prestigious higher education institutions like the Indian Institute of Management (Kolkata).
Indian Institute of Technology (Kharagpur), Indian Institute of Science Education and Research (Kolkata), and National Institute of Technology (Durgapur) further facilitate education for students.
List of Scholarships and Application Period
Here is a comprehensive list available of West Bengal Scholarships for students, along with their application periods and respective providers:
Scholarship NameApplication PeriodProvider Name
Swami Vivekananda Merit Cum Means Scholarship for Minorities August to December Government of West Bengal
West Bengal Post-Matric Scholarship for SC/ST/OBC August to January Backward Classes Welfare Department, Government of WB
West Bengal Pre-Matric Scholarship for SC ST Students August to January Backward Classes Welfare Department, Government of WB
Hindi Scholarship Scheme, West Bengal October to December Department of Higher Education, Govt. of WB
Bigyani Kanya Medha Britti Scholarship May to July Jagadis Bose National Science Talent Search (JBNSTS)
West Bengal Talent Support Stipend Programme August to December West Bengal Minorities Development and Finance Corporation
West Bengal Merit Cum Means Scholarship August to March Government
JBNSTS Scholarship Program (senior and junior) August to October Government
(Note: Application periods are tentative and subject to change by the scholarship provider.)
Detailed Scholarship Information
Here’s a breakdown of the key scholarships available in West Bengal:
- Swami Vivekananda Merit Cum Means Scholarship for Minorities, West Bengal
- Eligibility: Minority community students with specific academic criteria and income limits.
- Benefits: Financial assistance based on academic merit and financial need.
- West Bengal Post-Matric Scholarship for SC/ST/OBC
- Eligibility: SC/ST/OBC students pursuing post-secondary education.
- Benefits: Financial assistance based on the level of education and family income.
- West Bengal Pre-Matric Scholarship for SC ST Students
- Eligibility: SC/ST students studying in Class 9 or 10.
- Benefits: Financial assistance with an additional ad-hoc grant.
- Hindi Scholarship Scheme, West Bengal
- Eligibility: Students studying Hindi in non-Hindi-speaking states.
- Benefits: Variable financial awards to promote Hindi language study.
- Bigyani Kanya Medha Britti Scholarship
- Eligibility: Girl students pursuing basic science, medicine, or engineering at the undergraduate level.
- Benefits: Monthly stipend and annual book grant.
- West Bengal Talent Support Stipend Programme
- Eligibility: Minority community students from Class 11 to Ph.D. level.
- Benefits: Financial aid for continuing studies.
- West Bengal Merit Cum Means Scholarship
- Eligibility: Minority students pursuing technical or professional courses.
- Benefits: Substantial financial assistance for eligible candidates.
- JBNSTS Scholarship Program (senior and junior)
- Eligibility: Creative undergraduate students pursuing science education.
- Benefits: Monthly scholarship with additional benefits.
Eligibility Criteria of West Bengal Scholarships
The eligibility criteria for West Bengal Scholarships vary, but a common requirement is being a permanent resident or domicile of West Bengal. Other criteria include academic performance, family income, and minority community status.
Application Process of West Bengal Scholarships
The application processes vary based on the West Bengal Scholarships. Some scholarships are applied for online through designated portals, while others require offline applications. The Government of West Bengal provides the OASIS Scholarship Portal for online applications.
Tracking Application Status: Step-by-Step Guide
To monitor your application status, follow these steps:
- Navigate to the Scholarship Portal where you submitted your application.
- Locate and click on the “Track Application” option displayed on the homepage.
- Once the tracking page loads, provide your application number in the designated field.
- Complete the Captcha challenge by entering the characters shown in the Captcha Box.
- Finally, click on the “Track Application” button to proceed and view the status of your application.
Certainly! Here are the frequently asked questions (FAQs) presented in a structured form:
Who is eligible for the Vivekananda Scholarship?
The minority community of West Bengal.
Have cleared the 12th-grade examination with a minimum of 75% marks.
Maintain an annual family income below INR 2.5 lakhs.
What is the amount of SC scholarship?
The SC Post Matric Scholarship 2022 is available to students whose parents’ combined income from all sources is at most INR 8,00,000.
How to Apply for the Hindi Scholarship Scheme, West Bengal?
To apply for the Hindi Scholarship Scheme, follow these steps:
Apply offline through the “Scholarship & Stipend Section of Education, Directorate, West Bengal” at Bikash Bhaban, North Block, 9th Floor, Bidhannagar, Kolkata-700091.
What are the eligibility criteria for the JBNSTS Scholarship 2022?
Could have passed the 10th standard Board Exam in 2021 with a minimum of 75% marks or equivalent CGPA in aggregate.
They should currently be enrolled in Science studies in Class 11 at any institution within West Bengal.
Selection will be conducted through the Junior Talent Search Test.
These FAQs provide clarity on some common queries regarding West Bengal Scholarships. If you need further assistance or have specific questions, please feel free to ask.
West Bengal Scholarships are essential for empowering students by providing them with financial support to pursue education. These scholarships cater to a diverse range of students and disciplines, promoting educational opportunities and fostering academic excellence in the state.