The National Means-cum-Merit Scholarship Scheme (NMMS) for the year 2023 is now accepting applications in Uttar Pradesh, Odisha, Delhi, and Nagaland. This scholarship program is designed to support economically disadvantaged but academically talented students in Class 8 who attend government, government-aided, and local body schools.
Scholarship Registration and Eligibility
To apply for the NMMS scholarship, eligible students should visit their respective State/UT’s official website. The scheme targets students whose family income does not exceed ₹3,50,000 annually from all sources at the time of selection.
Scholarship Quotas and Categories
Each State/UT has allocated a specific quota of scholarships for students in Class 7 and 8, with a focus on providing opportunities to various categories of students.
NMMS Scholarship last date
- 10 October 2023
- The NMMS exam for the 2023-24 academic year in Haryana is scheduled to take place on November 19th.
- The NMMS HP application forms can be obtained and submitted between August 20 and September 25, 2023.
NMMS Scholarship Scholarship Details
The scholarship offers annual financial assistance of ₹12,000, disbursed at ₹1,000 per month, to students in Class 9 to 12. Its primary objective is to prevent students from discontinuing their education after Class 8, encouraging them to pursue higher studies.
Interested students should apply before the respective deadlines: August 31, 2023, for Odisha, Delhi, and Nagaland, and September 18, 2023, for Uttar Pradesh. This examination does not require any application fee.
Please note that students enrolled in Kendriya Vidyalayas, Jawahar Navodaya Vidyalayas, residential schools operated by central or state government institutions, or private schools are not eligible for this scholarship. Additionally, recipients can receive only one scholarship under any Central Government Scholarship scheme.
NMMS Scholarship 2023 – General Eligibility Conditions
- Score a minimum of 55% marks (50% for SC/ST) or an equivalent grade in their Class 7 examination.
- Be enrolled as regular students in government, government-aided, or local body schools.
- Successfully promote from 9th to 10th grade and from 11th to 12th grade.
- Maintain a minimum of 60% marks in their 10th-grade examination or an equivalent examination during the higher secondary stage, with a 5% relaxation for SC/ST students.
- The annual income of the applicant’s parents should not exceed ₹3,50,000.
- Demonstrate good conduct as certified by school authorities.
NMMS Scholarship 2023 – Selection Process
The NMMS selection process involves two tests: the Mental Ability Test (MAT) and the Scholastic Aptitude Test (SAT). Both tests consist of 90 multiple-choice questions, covering various subjects taught in Class 7 and 8. To qualify, students must pass both MAT and SAT, achieving a minimum of 40% marks in aggregate, with a lower cutoff of 32% for SC/ST students.
How to Apply
To apply for the scholarship, follow these steps:
- Visit the official website of NMMS in your respective state or UT.
- Select the ‘Apply’ button on the homepage.
- Enter your login credentials and submit the application form.
- Complete the online application, including document uploads.
- Download the confirmation page for future reference.
Applicants should prepare the following documents:
- Two recent passport-size photographs
- Copy of caste certificate
- Income certificate issued by the competent authority
- Disability status certificate issued by the competent authority
- Photocopy of the Class 7 report card
- What is the NMMS scheme?
The NMMS is a government-sponsored scholarship program aimed at providing financial support to academically talented students from economically weaker backgrounds, enabling them to continue their education beyond Class 8.
- Who is eligible for the NMMS exam?
Students must have scored a minimum of 55% marks (50% for SC/ST) in their Class 7 examination and have a family income not exceeding ₹3,50,000 to be eligible for the selection test.
- How can students apply for the NMMS scholarship?
Interested students can apply online or offline, depending on their state or UT. Detailed application procedures are available on the respective education department’s website.
- What are the benefits of the NMMS scholarship for selected students?
Selected students receive an annual scholarship of ₹12,000, disbursed at ₹1,000 per month, to support their education.
- Can students from all States/UTs in India apply for the NMMS scholarship?
Yes, the NMMS is available to students across all states and union territories in India, although specific eligibility criteria and implementation may vary.
- How is the NMMS scholarship funded?
The central government provides funds to the States/UTs for the implementation of the scholarship program at the regional level.
- Is there a provision for the renewal of the NMMS scholarship?
Yes, students can renew their scholarship if they continue to meet the eligibility criteria and maintain satisfactory academic performance in subsequent years of their education. Renewal procedures may vary by State/UT.
The Scholarship stands as a beacon of hope, providing financial support and opportunities for academically gifted students from economically disadvantaged backgrounds. By offering a chance to continue their education and pursue their dreams, this scholarship scheme contributes to a brighter future for deserving students in Uttar Pradesh, Odisha, Delhi, and Nagaland. Don’t miss the application deadlines and seize this chance for a better tomorrow.