The NEC Merit Scholarship for Students of NER 2023-24 constitutes a program designed for individuals pursuing diploma, degree, or postgraduate studies or enrolled in M.Phil./Ph.D. programs.
This scholarship initiative is extended by the North Eastern Council, a constituent of the Ministry of Development of the North Eastern Region under the Government of India, exclusively to eligible applicants from the North Eastern States.
Its primary objective revolves around offering financial assistance to students from the North-Eastern Region enrolled in recognized educational institutions across India. The scholarship facilitates monetary support that can amount to INR 30,000 per annum.
Eligibility of NEC Merit Scholarship
To be eligible for the NEC Merit Scholarship, an applicant must:
- A resident of the North-Eastern states (Assam, Arunachal Pradesh, Manipur, Meghalaya, Mizoram, Nagaland, Sikkim and Tripura).
- Have taken admission in a diploma, degree, and postgraduate course OR be registered for an M.Phil or Ph.D. program.
- Have an annual family income of 8 lakh or less from all sources.
- Meet the academic requirements based on the level of the course.
- Passed HSLC/HSSLC/Secondary School Leaving/Senior Secondary Leaving Certificate examination from a recognized State/Central Board with a minimum of sixty percent and above marks in aggregate.
- I completed the HSSLC/Senior Secondary Leaving Certificate examination from a recognized State/Central Board with a cumulative score of at least 60%.
- He has attained eligibility by clearing a bachelor’s level examination in any field (B.A./B.Sc./B.E./B.Tech /M.B.B.S./LLB/BCA/BBA, etc.) from a recognized Institute/University with a combined score of at least 60%.
- M.Phil./Ph.D. programs: Hold a PG degree from any recognized University with a minimum of 60% or above marks in aggregate.
Benefits of the NEC Merit Scholarship
Selected students will receive the scholarship as per the rates below:
- Diploma level courses: INR 20,000 per annum
- Degree level courses: INR 22,000 per annum
- PG courses: INR 25,000 per annum
- M.Phil/Ph.D. degree: INR 30,000 per annum
- Permanent residence certificate from the respective authorities.
- Income certificate from a competent authority.
- Bank account passbook in the applicant’s name.
- Details of the qualifying examination.
- Synopsis signed by the project guide/Director(Research) for M.Phil./Ph.D. candidates.
How to Apply
- Click on the ‘Apply Now‘ link.
- Navigate to ‘Applicant Corner’ and click on ‘New Registration’.
- Select the option ‘Access additional Scholarship Schemes available on NSP for the Academic Year 2023-24’ by clicking here.
- Read the guidelines, select the undertaking, and ‘Continue.’
- Provide personal details and bank information.
- Register using OTP and fill out the application form.
- Upon completion, an application ID and password will be generated.
- Scholarship Closing Date: September 2023
- Last Date for Defect Verification: September 2023
- Later Date for Institute Verification: September 2023
- Merit-based selection.
- Verification at institute and state government levels.
- The choice for M.Phil and Ph.D. programs is based on research relevance.
- Merit list prepared based on qualifying exam marks.
Application Renewal for NEC Merit Scholarship for Students of NER
Students selected for the NEC Merit Scholarship can renew their scholarship for subsequent years based on certain conditions. Here’s the information about the renewal process:
Renewal Process of NEC Merit Scholarship
- A student selected for the scholarship in the previous year is eligible for renewal.
- Renewal is applicable for the entire course period or as per prescribed limits.
- There needs to be a merit list generated for renewal applications.
- The renewed scholarship funds will be distributed directly to eligible and verified bank accounts via the Direct Benefit Transfer (DBT) method following the existing guidelines.
- Students who have changed their subject of study after availing of the scholarship for the previous course or part of it will not be eligible for renewal.
- Each scholarship renewal is valid for one academic year only unless otherwise specified.
- Every year throughout their course, all eligible recipients must complete the renewal form on the National Scholarship Portal (NSP).
- The beneficiary must have passed the previous year’s exams or have been promoted to the next semester/year to qualify for scholarship renewal.
- A student must be promoted to the next year or have pending backlog papers for more than one year to receive the scholarship for the remaining course period.
- Any break in scholarship during the entire course period makes the beneficiary ineligible for further receipt of the scholarship for that specific course. In such cases, students cannot apply for renewal in subsequent years. However, they can be used as fresh applicants when enrolling in an advanced approach at a later stage.
It’s essential to follow the renewal process and guidelines accurately to ensure the continued receipt of the scholarship. For more detailed and specific information, refer to the ‘Scholarship Guidelines.’
- Shri L. Beimopha, IRS (Deputy Secretary (Administration) & i/C DIPR)
- North Eastern Council (NEC)
- DIPR, NEC Secretariat, Nongrim Hills, Shillong-793003
- Phone: (0364)-2522662
- Email: [email protected]
Terms and Conditions
- No scholarship for internships or practical training.
- Nodal officer’s right to accept/reject applications.
- No reservation based on category/religion/gender.
- Disbursement through NEC directly to verified bank accounts.
- Account must be linked to Aadhaar and kept operational.
- Renewal process available for continued eligibility.
FAQs Section about NEC Merit Scholarship
Who is eligible to apply for the NEC Merit Scholarship?
- Applicants must be permanent residents of North-Eastern states.
- They should be enrolled in diploma/degree/postgraduate courses or registered for M.Phil./Ph.D. programs.
- Annual family income should be less than INR 8 lakh.
- Academic eligibility criteria vary based on the level of the course.
What is the scholarship amount for different course levels?
- Diploma: INR 20,000 per annum
- Degree: INR 22,000 per annum
- PG: INR 25,000 per annum
- M.Phil/Ph.D.: INR 30,000 per annum
The NEC Merit Scholarship for Students of NER offers financial support to residents of North-Eastern states pursuing various academic programs. The scholarship encourages higher education and research by providing monetary assistance based on merit.