Nestled in the heart of the stunning Okanagan Valley, West Kelowna thrives as a city that seamlessly combines rural sophistication with a commitment to outdoor recreation. Boasting sun-soaked lakeshores, an agricultural charm, and proximity to urban opportunities, West Kelowna has become the sought-after locale. We maintain a deep connection with our agricultural roots, embracing the unique character that defines our community. Join us and build your future in a city proudly honored with the 2023 BC Municipal Safety Association Organizational Safety Excellence Award, recognizing our leadership, dedication, and diligence in fostering a safer and healthier workplace.
The City of West Kelowna is currently seeking a Term Full-Time Health and Safety Assistant to cover a maternity leave for up to 20 months. The ideal candidate thrives in a dynamic, fast-paced environment with shifting priorities. This temporary exempt position, covering a maternity leave with a minimum duration of 18 months and flexibility for 20 months if needed, requires a high-energy individual with initiative, delivering excellent service to City staff and the public while cultivating effective working relationships. The successful candidate must be flexible to commence work at the earliest opportunity.
In this role, you will support the Health, Safety, and Wellness Manager across various safety areas. As the initial point of contact for general health and safety inquiries, you will provide clerical support for all health and safety matters. Key responsibilities include filing WorkSafe claims, supporting the Joint Health and Safety committee, facilitating training, maintaining training records, preparing monthly and quarterly statistics, coordinating city-wide safety education topics, managing workplace inspection calendars and records, and handling various administrative and clerical duties.
- Certificate or Diploma in Human Resources or a combination of related education and experience
- Minimum of 2 years’ experience in a related position, preferably in a unionized environment
- Knowledgeable in the Workers’ Compensation Act and Employment Standards Act
- Experience with COR Audit is an asset
- First Aid Level I and WHMIS training are assets
- Proficient in MS Office; knowledge of SharePoint and HRIS is an asset
- Experience handling highly confidential medical information with discretion and integrity
- Excellent communication, interpersonal, organizational, time management, and planning skills
- Strong work ethic with flexibility to adjust hours when required
- Valid Class 5 BC Driver’s License
Applications are accepted online, and we appreciate the interest of all applicants. However, only those selected for further consideration will be contacted. We will be reaching out to applicants who meet our requirements as applications are received, and this posting may close ahead of the official closing date if a successful candidate is identified.
Competition No. 24-07E | Closes February 12, 2024 Exempt | 35 hours/week | Wage Range $51,500 – $57,200 Benefits | Municipal Pension Plan